Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Fly over Buenos Aires to Cape Horn, South America

Buenos Aires from Google Earth
Here's a short video that I've prepared for my next lecture series on board Holland America's Zaandam.  We're joining the ship in Buenos Aires and I often like to provide a Google Earth overview in my first presentation.  On this cruise we will be visiting Montevideo, Puerto Madryn, Falkland Islands (Maldivas), Punta Arenas, and Ushuaia before proceeding up the coast of Chile to Puerto Montt and San Antonio.



Here's a second video of our planned route sailing into the Strait of Magellan, past Tierra del Fuego, and then rounding Cape Horn at the southern tip of South America.



There are some interesting tales regarding the rounding of the Horn. A sailor who rounds the Horn is entitled to wear a gold loop earring. Tradition has it that this should be worn in the ear that faced the Horn as it was rounded.  I've always wondered if left vs right meant anything!
Rumor has it that there were also various privileges accorded to sailors who had rounded the horn. They included being allowed to dine with one foot on the table.  OK - I believe that one... but this next one seems far-fetched.  Guess who would be permitted to put both feet on the table?  A sailor who has rounded both Cape Horn AND the Cape of Good Hope in Africa.  Good luck using your knife and fork, I say!
It was quite a trick just to survive rounding the Horn back in the days of sail...so recognition really meant something!  Apparently 10,000 sailors lost their lives in those treacherous waters over the centuries.  That number is difficult to fathom, but it seems to be the accepted estimate based on my research.
Apparently a sailor could also get a tattoo of a fully rigged sailing ship after rounding Cape Horn (if they survived).  I have already sailed around the Cape of Good Hope twice... once I've rounded the Horn I wonder if I would qualify for a fully rigged ship on each cheek!?  Derriere that is! 
Hope you enjoy!  Thanks for visiting.

Cheers, George

PS: Music for both videos is 7th Floor Tango by Silent Partner from the YouTube Audio Library.